Old November 11th 14, 05:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Mastercard's "Fare Free Friday" for contactless travel - 14 & 28

In message , at 21:14:27 on Mon, 10 Nov
2014, Mizter T remarked:
Oh, woe is me too! I have an HSBC credit which used to be Mastercard but
they switched me to Visa. Bother!

Worth looking at MikeS's post in this thread - there's a maximum £9.80
refund on offer, so it's a "Fare Free Friday" only up to a certain
point (or rather fare).

Visa Europe seems to have offered a pretty unbeatable deal to banks for
debit cards, as those that offered Maestro (nee Switch) mostly defected
to Visa a few years back - perhaps your credit card change was a result
of the same effect.

My two non-contactless cards which I'd prefer to use for the tube [but
can't] are one each Visa and Mastercard - not my choice, it just
happened like that.

I also have a contactless Mastercard, but am unlikely to be in London on
the Fridays in question.