Old November 21st 14, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud-u-dont-like@potato.field is offline

Default Overground speed - or lack thereof

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:51:21 -0000
"D A Stocks" wrote:
wrote in message
The speed of the Overground from highbury down to shadwell is
underwhelming
to say the least. Slow ponderous acceleration up to probably nothing more
than
25mph and then braking from what seems like 300m before the station. Are
the
378s just not up to the job of running a metro service or is there a
deliberate
policy of a leisurely pace to operations?

--
Spud

I did a trip from Sydenham to Hoxton the other day and the trains seem to
run to reasonable speed out on the main line south of New Cross Gate. The
East London Line was always a rather leisurely affair in its Underground
days so I suspect the Overground has inherited the same line speeds.

I haven't been that far down on it so I'll take your word for it, but the
pace on the ELL is a joke. Coupled with waiting for the train to leave
highbury plus frequent pointless waits at Dalson Junction it makes it a poor
2nd choice for getting to east london from there when the Victoria+Jubilee
to canada water is - on my tests - is frequently 10 minutes faster to do
probably almost twice the distance.

--
Spud