Old November 26th 14, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark[_2_] Mark[_2_] is offline

Default Overground speed - or lack thereof

On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 19:06:56 UTC, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:22:40 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:13:26 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
I think they'd be more useful in the middle than the end! Actually, all
the 378s are bing lengthened to five cars, starting now; the first 5-car

Are these extra cars going to be powered or will they be unpowered trailers
so the 378s will be even slower?

I think they're motored. Class 378s have a 75mph top speed, much more than
modern LU stock, but they seem to accelerate more slowly. With stations
typically 2 mins apart, they rarely get up to speed.

I suppose the top speed is so they can be cascaded in the future to elsewhere
around the country because its certainly overkill on their current routes.

It isn't - the linespeed on the slow lines south of New Cross Gate is largely 60mph
(if probably not reached that often in normal service. ECS though...)

I still think S stock running on the ELL as a tube route terminating at
new cross + gate would have been a better choice despite extra traffic
from further south since interchange would have been fairly easy.

Where would the extra services from further south terminate? No terminating facility
at New Cross Gate, and no capacity at London Bridge.

Same applies for terminating from the north at New Cross Gate. Terminating 12 tph
there would be challenging, perhaps not impossible but the knock-on effect of
a problem would be far bigger than with multiple quieter terminuses.

People have always been able to change at New Cross Gate for the ELL (well, apart from
the long stretches of it being closed). They tended not to and interchange numbers were
tiny, probably due to the inconvenience, and the infrequency of the ELL and its limited
route. A train load of people changing at New Cross Gate would cause chaos there, even
after they've finished rebuilding it.