Old December 1st 14, 09:33 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
On 2014-11-29 22:19:01 +0000, Robin9 said:

I assume - please correct me if I'm wrong - that you're referring to
some
minicab drivers.

In London probably yes, and as this is uk.transport.london I should
perhaps have been clearer.

Outside London it is my experience that it is the black cabs that are
generally less reputable. Certainly if anyone is going to try to avoid
charging the correct rate in Milton Keynes late at night it's the black
cabs. The three main minicab operators (the term "minicab" is a London
thing, elsewhere they are referred to as taxis, even if that is
technically incorrect) are generally reputable and well-behaved, though
you do occasionally encounter the odd exception.

Certainly it is the case that there are some really awful minicab drivers in
London who drive dangerously, are rude and/or unhelpful, overcharge and
keep neither their cars not themselves clean.

Almost every minicab firm in the London area has at least some drivers
who do not fit the above description. The prudent customer, when booking
the cab, asks that "a nice driver" is allocated to them. If the cab firm is any
good, the controller will understand what the customer is worrying about and
will provide a decent driver.

That is laughably ridiculous even if it might work. I shouldn't have
to request a driver who complies fully with the law and their contract
with their company regarding fares, nor a clean car in a good state of
repair. Every driver should do that without being asked. If they
don't, they deserve the sack or to be prosecuted, depending on whether
they have breached the law or merely their contract.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
We're not discussing what should be the case. We're discussing what is the

In London it is quite common for customers to request a civilized driver when
booking a car for a non-local journey.