Old December 5th 14, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Overground - hopeless

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 19:42:31 GMT, d wrote:

I've given up using the overground from highbury - its just a totally
inadequate service.

The main problem I can see a

- Train service too infrequent in the rush hour. Waiting 6-7 minutes for a
train to turn up then leave when the platform is bursting is absurd.

Every 7-8 mins is the scheduled peak headway. The NLL is planned to
go up to every 6 minutes eventually. No idea about the ELL
intensifying the service to Highbury.

- The 387s are hopeless for a metro service. Poor acceleration and whoever
thought 2 narrow sets of doors would be adequate for a line this busy
should be sacked. I timed a packed train emptying at Highbury this week
and it took over 2 minutes for everyone to get off through all the people
waiting to get on.

- 2 out of every 3 northbound trains terminating at dalston junction is a
joke. Hardly anyone goes to Dalston, almost everyone goes to highbury.

And of course there are no other main line trains in use in London
with two doors per carriage are there!? I agree peak dwell times are
long but that's hardly unique on main line services in London.

I think the new Crossrail stock will be the first modern stock to have
three doors per carriage.

Do you know why the 378s and S stock are so different? Both were built at
the same time, in the same factory, for the same ultimate customer. Both
have open gangways, and a similar urban role. One is based on the Movia
platform, one on the Electrostar. Both run on modern NR tracks, and both on
current or former LU tracks.