Old April 24th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
CharlesPottins CharlesPottins is offline

Default Not Yet Freedom

Just an update. The other day, after a couple of bus and tube staff suggested
the new ones might be out, I revisited the post office, and was given a form to
complete, together with a piece of literature telling me that persons with my
surname ought to have applied at the beginning of March. (pity they never
thought to tell us before we come in to apply).
As the form also required proof of residence etc, I took it away to complete,
and got on with my other business of the day.
Next day I returned to the same post office, handed over my old ticket and
proffered the completed form together with required documentation. No use. "We
have run out of the new tickets".
I did chance a look in the post office on the High Street but the length of the
queue and thought that by the time I reached the counter the message might be
the same, was a deterrent. I proceeded to my next port of call, the jobcentre,
where I needed to ask someone to supply some confirmation of details for a firm
(they had tried contacting the centre themselves without success). Nobody was
available to deal with it, and no, the youth on the reception counter told me,
he could not take the paper from me to give anyone, as it might get lost. He
suggested I come back that afternoon, which I refused.

(Still, that one has a happy ending as the next day the firm rang me to say
they had finally received the info. which they had asked me to collect. Glad I
only wasted one visit to the jobcentre). Just thought I'd let you into what an
exciting life I lead.
Bet the young ones among you can't wait to reach 60.
And by then, with the government promising to cut civil service jobs, there'll
be even bigger queues to join, and you won't be told to "come back in the
afternoon", but "tomorrow"(manana) or next week. Still, the mountain of bumf
keeps growing and there is ever-continuing expansion in the bull**** industry.

Who knows, it's now less than a week to the end of the month, when the tickets
that were supposed to expire last month are due to expire again, and if we
don't expire before from all this excitement we may have some more fun to look
forward to.