Old December 22nd 14, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 5 car Overground trains to Watford Junction

In article

rg, (Recliner) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
On 21/12/2014 21:49,
wrote:
I read in a magazine that Overground trains on the Euston-Watford
service won't be able to be extended to 5 cars until power supply
upgrades have taken place. I don't understand why power supply upgrades
are is needed. This route used to be served by 7 car Bakerloo Line
trains.

Guessing but perhaps "used to" are the operative words in that sentence,
i.e. the power supply kit / arrangements on the line have changed
since 1982.

And maybe 5-car 378s, with modern traction equipment, need more power than
old tube trains (1972 stock, presumably)?

1938 stock actually. I guessed it's the same as the Southern. Massive power
supply upgrades were needed for the switch from camshaft-controlled stock to
power electronics.

--
Colin Rosenstiel