Old January 12th 15, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark[_2_] Mark[_2_] is offline

Default 5 car Overground trains to Watford Junction

On Monday, 12 January 2015 17:31:56 UTC, wrote:

Well lets see - its 300m from liverpool street but they put the single
entrance on the other side to add another 100m onto the walk. The line can't
take 5 car trains at some stops - and don't tell me they couldn't have
enlarged station tunnels - the trains were indequate from the start and the
service frequency is poor.

It's been said for well over a decade now that lengthening Rotherhithe and Wapping
would either be too difficult or impossible. Selective door opening is common on
bits of the tube network which are far newer.

sparse service, which you'd never have used, and therefore never have
complained about.

If they'd simply built the section north from whitechapel and instead of the
idiotic decision to stop at H&I instead of finsbury which would have
provided an interchange with the ECML it would have been a much more useful
line and cheaper. There was no need to co-opt pre existing sound london lines
since they were already perfectly well served.

You repeatedly say this, but repeating it doesn't mean it makes any more sense.
None of the southern branches are quiet, suggesting they weren't already perfectly
served. Admittedly, without those passengers it wouldn't be as crowded on the
northern section, but without them you wouldn't have the "poor" 16 train an
hour frequency.

Or an extended ELL at all. I can't imagine it having been funded just to extend
New Cross to Highbury & Islington. Would it even exist at all by now?

I was curious to find out how slow it is between H+I and Canada Water, and how
this compared to the Victoria + Jubilee line. It's timetabled 20 minutes direct by
Overground, and 9+11 minutes on the Underground. The same! Only wait, there's
the time involved in changing at Green Park, which TFL's journey planner seems to
put at around 4 minutes. I know such things can exaggerate changing time, but
there seems to be no way to do this journey quicker by tube.

The Underground route is about 2 miles longer and has one more stop so yes,
the average speed is higher. The average speed of the Underground trip including
stops is about 23mph, the Overground about 17mph. Neither are going to set the
world on fire. And on average, the Overground's stops *are* closer together, with
10 of them in less than 6 miles.

I was actually surprised the Underground wasn't faster by a bigger margin, especially
as both lines are ATO. I often wonder if people assume that deep level tubes are
travelling faster than they are due to their size, the small tunnels and the "zoom"
effect the cabling on the walls has.