Old January 20th 15, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud-u-dont-like@potato.field is offline

Default M11 or A1 easiest tube connection for Heathrow

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 01:16:59 -0800 (PST)
peter wrote:
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 3:37:02 AM UTC, weeyin wrote:
I'm driving my son and his family down to London late afternoon via M11
or A1 and they need to get to Heathrow. I thought it might be easier to
get them to a tube station with a direct journey into Heathrow. Any
suggestions which one you care to offer will be really appreciated or
alternative ideas
=20

If you're coming down the A1(M) then one option is to join the clockwise M2=
5 at J1, leave at the next junction (J24) and take the southbound A111 to C=
ockfosters, about 2.5 miles from the motorway. There is a (paying) car par=
k at Cockfosters tube station (although if it's before about six on Monday =
to Friday it may be full), and a bus-stop lay-by directly outside, and freq=
uent tube trains to Heathrow.

It's a tedious journey, though, Cockfosters to Heathrow. Allow a good 90 m=
inutes, may be safer to say two hours, and check which terminal you need. =
Trains serve either T4, followed after a long wait in the platform by T123,=
or T123 then T5. Some trains do not serve Heathrow at all - these will pr=
obably be displayed as 'Rayners Lane' or 'Uxbridge'. Obviously you'll get a=
seat at Cockfosters, but the train will probably become very crowded throu=
gh central London

Ignore him. Take the car the whole way if its late afternoon. You can get
to heathrow in 20-30 mins from the A1 junction instead of farting about for 2
hours (after buying a ticket, waiting for a train, the inevitable delays,
change of destination so you all get turfed off in acton etc) on the tube.

--
Spud