Old April 25th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Deafening busker at Picadilly Circus

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 at 12:12:42, Martin Underwood
wrote:

I gather from this that London Transport (or whatever they are called today)
have finally capitulated and got rid of the outright ban on buskers, and
allowed a limited number of licensed buskers to perform. When did this
happen?

Within the last year, I think.

Why is it necessary for Carling (or anyone) to sponsor the pitches: what did
Carling give in exchange for the publicity? I've never seen one of the
authorised pitches, but did they cost more to create than the cost of a bit
of paint on the floor to denote the outline of the pitch?

Not a great deal more - there is a poster on the wall, and a
semi-circular painted bit of floor next to it. There's a pitch at
London Bridge that I often walk past, but haven't yet seen anybody
performing there, but there was quite a good one at Bank the other day.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004