Old February 12th 15, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster charging for journeys that don't happen

On 12/02/2015 12:55, David Cantrell wrote:
I've found another way in which Oyster incorrectly charges people too
much.

On Tuesday evening I touched in and got on a train at Waterloo. A few
minutes later we were told that there was no driver. So I got off,
touched out, found the next train on the departures board, touched in,
and travelled.

The result - I was charged for entering and exiting at Waterloo, and
then charged again for my actual journey.

Now, I've emailed the helpline and I'm sure I'll get a refund in a few
days, but most people aren't aware of how error-prone Oyster is and
consequently that they should check their journey history. I wonder how
much TfL and SWT made from that train full of people going nowhere.

It's not an error, the system is operating as programmed. (You're a
programmer, no? Technology, including Oyster, doesn't just do it's own
random thing.)

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/touching-in-and-out

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/same-station-continuation-exits/