Old February 13th 15, 05:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oyster charging for journeys that don't happen

In message , at 23:00:26 on Thu, 12 Feb
2015, Mizter T remarked:
I've found another way in which Oyster incorrectly charges people too
much.

On Tuesday evening I touched in and got on a train at Waterloo. A few
minutes later we were told that there was no driver. So I got off,
touched out, found the next train on the departures board, touched in,
and travelled.

The result - I was charged for entering and exiting at Waterloo, and
then charged again for my actual journey.

Now, I've emailed the helpline and I'm sure I'll get a refund in a few
days, but most people aren't aware of how error-prone Oyster is and
consequently that they should check their journey history. I wonder how
much TfL and SWT made from that train full of people going nowhere.

It's not an error, the system is operating as programmed. (You're a
programmer, no? Technology, including Oyster, doesn't just do it's own
random thing.)

"If you touch in on a yellow card reader to make a journey and
then decide you don't want to make it or you can't because of
service disruption and touch out again to exit your Oyster card
will be charged. We apply charges to discourage fare evasion.
However, you may be able to get a refund if this happens."

The burden here is far too much on the innocent traveller.