Old February 13th 15, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster charging for journeys that don't happen

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 09:35:41 on Fri, 13
Feb 2015,
d remarked:
"If you touch in on a yellow card reader to make a journey and
then decide you don't want to make it or you can't because of
service disruption and touch out again to exit your Oyster
card will be charged. We apply charges to discourage fare
evasion. However, you may be able to get a refund if this
happens."

The burden here is far too much on the innocent traveller.

Yes, I agree. They really ought to be able to tweak the algorithm to
stop charging in cases where people exit within, say, ten minutes.

Can anyone spot the teeny problem there? No?

Touch in, go through gate, touch out on exit gate to get refund but don't
go through it and happily travel for free - assuming you don't get caught
by a revenue patrol and can get out the other end of course.

In that case they need to cancel the original touch in/out if you
touch in again within say half an hour. If the disruption is so bad
you decide to change stations, they should allow you to do a pseudo
touch-in on any of the ticket machines.

Which, according to oyster-rail.org.uk (but not TfL's own web site) is
something like what happens.

It would be nice if there was an official way of confirming what should
happen.

--
Colin Rosenstiel