Old February 18th 15, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pacers to be replaced by old London Underground trains?

In article , d
() wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:31:19 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
The whole thing seems crazy to me. Why don't they just get some 170s or
something? Why re-engineer metro trains with a top speed of 40 mph that
have little in the way of crash protection?

The top speed is 60mph. And they can't buy new 170s any more, as they're
not emissions compliant. In any case, the D-Trains will be far cheaper.

About half the cost in fact.

Another EU triumph.

If you mean to avoid the destruction of the planet, then yes.

Also I'm curious to know how they'll deal with the loading gauge issue.
LU surface stock is wider than mainline stock.

The D stock was always mainline certified.

In that case presumably so is the 9 foot 7 wide S stock which runs on the
same NR lines. Which makes me wonder why they don't build wider
mainline stock then instead of the pokey things they dish up these
days where the seats are never quite wide enough.

I suspect the S stock isn't passed for use outside the Chilterns route which
was originally Metropolitan, not BR predecessor, built.

--
Colin Rosenstiel