Old February 18th 15, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Pacers to be replaced by old London Underground trains?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 12:50:40 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:54:16 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
The top speed is 60mph. And they can't buy new 170s any more, as they're
not emissions compliant. In any case, the D-Trains will be far cheaper.

About half the cost in fact.

Another EU triumph.

If you mean to avoid the destruction of the planet, then yes.

A bit of extra soot from a train is neither here nor there. If the alternative
is so rubbish people would sooner drive then its hardly great policy.
Personally I wouldn't want to travel long distance in a D stock train especially
if its got some hammering transit van engine underneath the floor. Also I
can't see a van engine having the durability to last very long in that
application but thats up to them I guess.

Two Transit engines per power car, in easily-removable power packs.
Yes, they'll probably be less durable than normal railway engines, but
that's the whole idea of making it easy to swap them in and out.

It will be interesting to see how well the engines are isolated from
the passenger area, compared to the bumpy Pacers or perhaps Class 150s
they'll be replacing. Having two smaller road-vehicle engines in
separate, self-contained power packs could actually make them quieter
than the DMUs.