Old April 26th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Station names

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Seanie O'Kilfoyle wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:43:48 +0100 E. Zackatackali
said...

Elephant and Castle ---- Walworth North

AFAIK Elephant & Castle is/was the name of a pub in the area

WRONG !

The region got it's name from the Palace (formerly on the spot where the
roundabout with the tardis on it is) of the Princess of Castille "Infanta de
Castille"

WRONG! see:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ele1.htm

the name does come from a pub, called the Elephant and Castle, which used
to be a smithy of the same name, which in turn was so called because it
was connected the Worshipful Company of Cutlers, whose arms feature a
crest consisting of an elephant with a howdah (portable castle, innit):

http://www.heraldicmedia.com/site/in.../comp018a.html

tom

--
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. -- Hunter S. Thompson.