Old March 8th 15, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground down again

In article 2015030818105653618-email@domaincom,

On 2015-03-08 15:02:01 +0000, Recliner said:

eastender wrote:

The sell-off of Broad Street station and space is one example of
dreadfully short-sighted and cut price deals for developers. Imagine
how the railway would look now with a modern spur down to Broad
Street.

I'd have though the Broadgate office development is far more usefu.
And if Broad St station was still open, the amazingly successful
conversion of the ELL to the Overground, with the link to H&I, would
never have happened.

I think closing a London terminus given what we now know about
population growth and demand for travel was not a good decision. But
you can say that about a lot of railway closures.

The new Overground line adds a lot more capacity than was lost when
that little-used terminal finally closed.

Yes but this is with the benefit of hindsight - who knows what would
have been built around a Broad Street line by now. The point about
the sell-off of public space is also important.

How well did you know Broad Street in the years before it closed? Only
Birmingham Snow Hill was an emptier shell. City terminuses are a bit 19th
century relics. Through lines have proved far more effective in the years
since.

--
Colin Rosenstiel