Old April 26th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default Station names

Terry Harper wrote:
"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message

In article t, Dave Newt

wrote:

It looks nothing like Arabic or Urdu; it's (like the street signs in
Brick Lane) Bengali.

My Sikh coworker insisted it was Punjabi when I showed him a photo of
the Southall station sign last year. (Of course, they may have changed
it since I stopped commuting past there, in mid-2003...)

It could be that several languages use the same alphabet and script. So
several of you could be correct in one respect.

Sorry, I think Niklas is right actually.

The Panjabi at Southall and the Bengali at Brick Lane are both modified
versions of a Devanagari script (the former is Gurmukhi, actually),
whilst the Urdu/Arabic suggestions are the entirely different
Perso-Arabic script.

Been a while since I went to Southall. I can tell the difference; I had
just forgotten.

(Of course, Panjabi script is not officially recognised even in Pakistan.)