Old March 14th 15, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Overground down again

In message , at 18:19:15 on Fri, 13
Mar 2015, Neil Williams remarked:
On 2015-03-13 17:21:20 +0000, Roland Perry said:

My suits fit better than my other clothing.

No doubt you're the pinnacle of sartorial elegance. But most
suit-wearers aren't, I observe.

and a bit of fabric constricting your breathing

It doesn't.

It does for me. I absolutely hate having things tight round my neck.

Something's wrong if it's tight.

is superior

Looks smart and has lots of pockets.

Other clothes can look smart provided they are neat and properly ironed.

Look neat and tidy perhaps. There's a reason for the term "smart
casual".

or a short-sleeved shirt without tie, and a pair of chinos.

That's what I'd wear as "smart casual", but not every meeting is
appropriate for that.

Indeed not, though I do wish business would grow up a bit and stop
worrying about what people wear and worry more about what they do and
say. Within reason of course.

In the literal sense, a suit is a 'uniform' (everyone the same), which
means to opposite of what you imply - ie everyone can express an opinion
without people making prior judgements because of the way they dress.

It's also a great leveller on price and availability - anyone can get
the outfit (which will last for ages).

And there's nothing more distracting than one person turning up in £500
worth of Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen impression. The first thought through
many people's minds will be "did he get dressed in the dark and forgot
to put on his cufflinks?"