Old March 30th 15, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David Jackman[_2_] David Jackman[_2_] is offline

Default Chaos likely when they close ticket windows at King's Cross St. Pancras

Clive Page wrote in
:

But in the case of King's Cross, they take some trouble on Eurostar to
push sales of Oyster cards, and TfL also encourage their use by having
cash fares which are many times that of the Oyster fare. So I'm
baffled as to why the queues are so long, but it's a fact that they
are.

Yes, Eurostar push Oyster but not hard enough. I think the problem is that
it takes a lot of time to explain the various options to people - many
other systems have just two choices (single or travelcard, and frequently
no messing around with zones either).

What's needed is a flyer, available in multiple languages, explaining the
basics of the system:

1) are you travelling within London?
2) do you have a contactless payment card? or
3) get an Oyster card and put some momey on it
4) touch in on buses, touch in and out on trains.

(You can begin to see the problems as you then have to explain "London",
how much money you need to put on the ticket etc etc.)

David