Old March 30th 15, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Page[_3_] Clive Page[_3_] is offline

Default Chaos likely when they close ticket windows at King's Cross St.Pancras

On 30/03/2015 10:25, Theo Markettos wrote:
David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:
What's needed is a flyer, available in multiple languages, explaining the
basics of the system:

1) are you travelling within London?
2) do you have a contactless payment card? or
3) get an Oyster card and put some momey on it
4) touch in on buses, touch in and out on trains.

(You can begin to see the problems as you then have to explain "London",
how much money you need to put on the ticket etc etc.)

Is my "Bank of China" card a contactless payment card? What about
American Express?
Can I put Euro on my Oyster card?
What happens when I run out of money?
Does my toddler need a card? At what age do they pay full fare?
What does 'peak' mean?

Indeed. Also: what about instructions for the DLR, the Tramlink,
riverboats, national rail services, on all of which (in defined areas)
you can use an Oyster card (and maybe a contactless one, for all I
know). Other questions visitors might ask:
- can I get a refund of an unexpired balance and my deposit when I leave
- can 2 people travel on one Oyster card (they an on similar cards in
some other cities)
- what happens when I transfer from tube to rail/tram/bus etc or
vice-versa? If I touch out and then in again do I get charged twice?

The Oyster card system is so complicated that most of us natives don't
understand even half of the rules, so pity the poor visitor (or even the
rich one).

--
Clive Page