Old March 31st 15, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Chaos likely when they close ticket windows at King's Cross St. Pancras

In message , at 14:18:33 on Tue, 31 Mar
2015, Mizter T remarked:

On 31/03/2015 11:42, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:23:13 on Tue, 31
Mar 2015, Roland Perry remarked:
[1] Hidden rather a long way down the list of what does and doesn't
work, they suddenly introduce the concept of 'pre-pay' cards.

Pre-paid cards

If you have a prepaid card (issued in the UK or outside the UK), it
may be accepted for travel on our services. Contact your card issuer
for more information

And I should have added that this aspect is much more important for
tourists, because they are aggressively marketed pre-paid cards by
various Bureau-de-Change as a means of delivering "foreign" (to them)
currency such as pounds.

It would be a great disappointment if perhaps the first time they wanted
to use such a card on arrival in the UK (to travel on TfL) that it
didn't work.

This, and other, newsgroups commonly have people moaning about the lack
of acceptance of UK cards by Dutch TVMs, for example.

I don't think pre-paid cards issued for the travel market feature
contactless (those issued either here or abroad). Bear in mind the
revenue risk for an issuer.

The risk is more for the merchant, because unless they are online you
get a Solo/Electron issue of not knowing if the card has sufficient
funds. Although it's not costing TfL any actual cash to transport
someone around for a day, and if the overnight processing reveals that
the card is bust or stolen, then block it from use the next day.

But by all means show me whatever examples there are out there.

My daughter is using my Orange Cash card (which is contactless) as
travel money at the moment; but it has the disadvantage of being in
pounds, not Euros. So there's a 2.75% fee.

(I have looked and not found any - and remember the 'pre-paid card
issue' is a significant part of your argument as per above.)

It's a part that I've highlighted because this thread features
foreigners arriving at Kings Cross/StP.