Old April 11th 15, 08:20 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Jet[_4_] View Post
On 2015\04\08 23:14, Robin9 wrote:
'Basil Jet[_4_ Wrote:
;147807']On 2015\03\25 10:15, Robin9 wrote:-

It is one of the several anomalies in London's public transport
infrastructure that Muswell Hill, like Roehampton, has no rail
service of any kind.
That abandoned route has now been partly built over (near Muswell Hill
Road)
so it is unlikely to be fully reopened.

A more likely candidate for reopening is the route between Highgate and
Finsbury Park which still exists as a popular walkway (aka public
footpath) as far as the ECML. The flyover bridge of course is long gone.

If that route were re-adopted and a bridge re-installed, your
long-championed route via Finsbury Park through Canonbury Tunnel
would become feasible. Obviously the idea would suffer from
not-invented-here
syndrome as the so-called experts would immediately poo-poo the
proposal.

In the very very long term, London Underground should examine the
feasiblity of a new Underground line starting at Arnos Groves,
proceeding via
New Southgate, Muswell Hill, Highgate, Upper Holloway and Camden Road
Euston and through the centre of London.-

How about this.

Chessington South / Shepperton etc
Earlsfield
enter tunnel...
Clapham Junction
Kings Road / Oakley Street
South Ken (with northern entrance near Imperial College)
Lancaster Gate / Paddington
South Hampstead / Swiss Cottage
Belsize Park / new Thameslink platforms / Hampstead Heath (I can't work
out if that's possible without demolishing the Royal Free)
Highgate
Muswell Hill Broadway (with an entrance by each roundabout)
Alexandra Palace
surface...
Bowes Park (surface walk to Bounds Green?)
Palmers Green, Winchmore Hill, Grange Park
some trains continue to Gordon Hill, others enter tunnel...
Enfield Town (not Chase)
Carterhatch Lane / Willow Road
surface...
Turkey Street, Theobalds Grove, Cheshunt... Stansted

I know it looks circuitous on a tube map, but it's nearly a straight
line. I also know that it avoids the West End, but it also takes a lot
of journeys out of the West End that don't need to be there. For
instance, if you want to get from South Ken to Luton Airport, you would
currently go via St Pancras or Green Park / West Hampstead, whereas this

would give you one change at Belsize Park. Most of the population of
North London would end up with shorter routes to Paddington and
Kensington that kept them out of the crowded trains. This route would
also take a lot of four wheel drives off the road in wealthy areas like
Muswell Hill, whereas Crossrail 2 looks designed to get people who can't

afford cars out of buses (which is actually pretty futile, especially
since they have no intention of cutting the buses in Hackney but will
just run them half empty). So I think it will achieve more than
Crossrail 2, but should be cheaper and less disruptive to build.

It's not as straight as you claim but it's no worse and no more fanciful
than the current "official" proposal. But, as you admit, it avoids Central
London. As the biggest requirement is for more capacity through the middle, I
can't imagine this would find favour among those who make the decisions.

I'm also sceptical about the need to go way out of London. In my
opinion, any new line must provide:

1) new capacity in the " middle" without duplicating existing lines

The connectivity there is so good already that a new line can't take
more than 3 minutes off any journey, whereas my line above would take
half an hour off some journeys, as well as reducing the need to use the
lines in the busiest area.
As I understand it - and I'm not speaking from experience as I never travel by
public transport at peak times - the requirement in "the middle" is not, for the
most part, more or better connections but simply more trains, more seats and
more lines.

I certainly agree that a new, possibly diversionary, route that reduces the
need for passengers to change trains at Waterloo and Victoria will be
preferable to spending astronomical sums increasing capacity at those
stations: capacity which will be required for only a few hours a week,
and probably not at all during school holidays.