Old April 28th 04, 05:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David Fairthorne David Fairthorne is offline

Default PATH update (was New York's PATH meeting this Wednesday)

"Stephen Furley" wrote in message
.. .

"John Rowland" wrote in message

There is still talk of reusing the Hudson Terminal site for the new
permanent World Trade Center station, because the demolished WTC station
(and the temporary station) are partly in the footprint which the WTC
relatives want kept sacred.

There was a suggestion at one time of extending Path East of the WTC site,
then turning North to join one of the existing Subway lines, I think it

may
have been the 6, towards Lexington Avenue, joining it somewhere near the

old
dis-used City Hall station on the loop where the 6 turns now, but I'm not
sure about this. There was a web-site about it. Somebody reported that
Path is incompatible with the Subway, but, espically since Path is to get
new rolling stock soon, I would have thought the work involved to make it
compatible would be relatively minor, in terms of the total reconstruction
of the WTC site. Whether there would be any other technical problems, and
whether there would be enough demand for such a service, I have no idea.

Was
any mention made of this.

Apparently the Port Authority of NY & NJ has decided to oppose the idea of
connecting PATH to the #6 Lexington Avenue local line. There is a report at
http://www.hudsoncity.net/tubes/njar...lexington.html showing the
proposed route. The idea was advocated by NJ_ARP, the New Jersey Association
of Railroad Passengers, as a means of providing Jersey residents with a
direct route to Grand Gentral Station, and the highest concentration of
office space in midtown Manhattan.

Instead of building the useful PATH - IRT connection, they are spending
billions of FEMA money (earmarked for Lower Manhattan after 9/11) on the
permanent PATH terminal designed by Calatrava, and on the Fulton Street
Transit Hub, neither of which will add one single inch of rail to the
system.