Old April 23rd 15, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Offramp Offramp is offline

Default Canada Water becomes Buxton Water

Canada Water is to be renamed for one day:

"Canada Water becomes Buxton Water
Sponsorship deal to commercially rename a Tube station for the first time

23 April 2015 - Rail and Underground
buxton water

canada water

We have signed a landmark sponsorship deal which will see Canada Water London Underground station renamed Buxton Water station for one day, on Sunday 26 April 2015, the day of the 35th Virgin Money London Marathon.

Canada Water roundels will be replaced by 'Buxton Water' and branded artwork will be placed all over the station to celebrate runners taking part in London's largest annual running event. The artwork will carry the hashtag #withyoualltheway to mark Buxton Water's role as the official water provider of the Virgin Money London Marathon. The main station entrance sign will remain unchanged. Buxton Water will also supply water for passengers at 'Buxton Water' station on marathon day.

The revenue we will receive from the deal is part of our wider commercial plans to generate £3.4bn in non-fare revenue over the next decade. The money generated will be reinvested in to improving London's public transport and road network for the benefit of customers and users.

The partnership combines our two famous brands to celebrate one of the largest and most prestigious marathon races in the world and has been designed to enhance the experience of customers using the station on the day, whilst raising awareness of drinking enough water on the go.

Lucinda Mee, Business Development Manager from TfL Commercial Development, said: 'The temporary station renaming of Canada Water is a landmark sponsorship deal and demonstrates what can be achieved when the operational and commercial sides of the business collaborate to create innovative partnerships with value to TfL and our customers.'

Commenting on the initiative, Peter Masterman, Area Manager - Canada Water said: 'Along with the team at Canada Water I am very excited that ours is the first station at which we will be doing this. It really will help make it a marathon day to remember.

'I am looking forward to seeing our customer's reactions to the name change and I know they will really appreciate the free water giveaway.'

Station announcements, as well as information across the digital screens and Dot Matrix Indicators on the Jubilee line platforms, will advise customers that the name change is part of a one day sponsorship deal."