Old April 24th 15, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default DLR - no collision detect?

On 2015-04-24 11:42:53 +0000, Recliner said:

And if you think having a human driver would save lives on the DLR,
how come most of the rail fatalities happen with trains with human
drivers on the Tube and NR?

There have been a fair few suicides on the DLR as my other post notes
although of course suicides are very hard to avoid.

But my is that I would have thought that a driverless train would have
some kind of obstruction detection system for any kind of hazard, but it seems not.

Yes, I was surprised at the number of fatalities. I'm not sure an
obstruction detector would prevent suicides as the person would throw
themselves under just as the train enters the platform, when it's too late
to stop the train. However, it might reduce the surprising number of
accidental deaths and injuries.