Old April 24th 15, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud-u-dont-like@potato.field is offline

Default DLR - no collision detect?

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:03:05 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
In case you haven't noticed, they also check tickets. Presumably you're an

I hadn't noticed. I currently travel on it mon-fri and I've yet to spot
them checking tickets in the rush hour. Probably because they'd barely be
able to move through the carraige. Like I said - there's no reason for them
not to sit at the front.

expert on how to dodge the ticket checks, but not everyone has your
expertise in this area.

It doesn't take a genius to spot the holes in TfLs system.

I'm also not sure they could even do their door checking duties from the
front console. In any case, if a would-be suicide throws themselves on the

All stations have monitors and/or mirrors so yes they can and do.

track just as the train enters the platform, driver or no driver, they'll
still be hit and probably killed.

Except the person who was killed fell on the track by accident apparently
12 seconds before the train ran over her. Unless the driver was asleep he'd
have had no problem stopping the train in time.

Maybe they think DLR trains are too slow? In any case, we already know
that having a driver doesn't stop successful suicides and accidental
deaths, so it'll probably be a pointless change.

Is there such thing as an unsuccessful suicide or a successful accidental
death?

Unless you're claiming that no train with a driver has ever managed to make an
emergency stop before hitting something or someone on the track in the entire
history of railways, then I think you'll have to concede that having a pair
of eyes up front is probably a Good Thing.

--
Spud