Old April 27th 15, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Peter Hendy lambasts Southeastern

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 03:57:52PM +0000, Recliner wrote:

Travelling by train is s**t where ???Gestapo??? staff target commuters and
???fine everyone???, the head of London???s transport system has said.

I've never had any problems with the Southeastern grippers. They ask
nicely to see my ticket, I show it or wave my Oyster card, they carry on.

That said, I've never been in the situation of having got on one of
their trains only to find that the Oyster reader had one of its
regular brainfarts and didn't bother to record my touch-in.

???If you make a mistake on your Oyster Card (London???s travel card) on the
Tube, we'll refund it. On South West Trains, they'll fine you. That's a big
philosophical difference.???

He's not quite telling the truth here. On TfL if either you or TfL make
a mistake, they automatically assume you made the mistake and fine you
without telling you. They'll refund you only if you know that they've
done it and then claim a refund.

Just because it is possible to do this sort of thing
in the English language doesn't mean it should be done