Old April 28th 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Bob Watt Bob Watt is offline

Default Station names

On 27/04/2004 20:30, in article ,
"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

I thought it was because of canning factories, myself, BICBW. After
all, the plaque in the station commemorates a ship-builders..... (it's
now my local work station, as opposed to home, so I use it most days).

"The London Encyclopaedia" suggests it may have been named after Lord
Canning, the Governor-General of India about 1850. The shipyard and the
Victoria Dock were the main local industries.

HTH.