Old April 28th 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london
Nick Catford Nick Catford is offline

Default Kingsway Tram Subway open to the general public

--
Please do not reply to this email address use my new one
:

"MetroGnome" wrote in message news:gARjc.72$xm2.30@newsfe1-win...

The Kingsway Subway has been open to the public for the past few days.
The occasion is an art exhibition organised by the St Martins College of
Art just across the road from the entrance. It runs from 23-29 April I
believe. While the LT Museum has organised a few prebooked visits to the
subway in the past, and I faintly recall Ian Allan advertising a visit
many years ago, this is I believe the first time, since the trams went,
that members of the public have been able to simply walk in off the street,
free of charge, down the slope and explore the subway, as far
as I think halfway down Kingsway.

--
MetroGnome

Yes I went past it today and saw people strolling in and out. I also noticed some banners hanging over the tunnel portal. A section of the tunnel was sold by London Borough of Camden last autumn. Apparently it's going to be a permanent art gallery with a new entrance near Holborn Station. Work on the conversion started in November.

For a history of Kingsway see
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ay/index.shtml

Nick