Old May 3rd 15, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nobody Nobody is offline

Default DLR - no collision detect?

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 15:42:38 +0100, "
wrote:

snipped

Aren't there detectors at stations that will either stop a train or cut
power in the event that somebody falls onto the tracks.

Skytrain in Vancouver has such a system, AIUI.

Yes, on both operating systems within the network, there are sensors
covering track within all stations.

They don't stop suicide attempts though... nor accidents.

Statistics are difficult to uncover. A quick search turns up a couple
of references both dating to late 2008 with a death toll totaling 54
or 55 from the first SkyTrain lne opening in late '85. But I can't
turn up any info as to a breakdown of those.

I ride the SkyTrain frequently, and system shutdowns are infrequent,
with the usual "medical emergency" sometimes annouced.