Old May 23rd 15, 01:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Tufnell Park

" wrote:
On 22.05.15 6:34, Basil Jet wrote:

I just noticed that Tufnell Park is shut because the lifts are being
replaced.

So I suppose closing the existing entrance and building a new
Underground / Overground interchange at Station Road with escalators
cutting diagonally down to the existing Northern Line platforms is off
the menu for another 40 years.

I also heard about this.

Is there a reason that they cannot replace one lift at a time in those
nine months, thus avoiding the need to shut down the station?

Could they not pull two lifts while making people use the down stairs?

I believe the two lifts share a single shaft, so it's much more efficient
to replace both at once. And it's regarded as risky to operate the station
for many months with only one life-expired lift in operation. Normally, if
one lift gets stuck, the other can be used to evacuate the passengers from
it, but this wouldn't be possibly with only one working.