Old May 31st 15, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Overground article

On 31/05/2015 10:41, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2015 11:51:18 +0100, Someone Somewhere
[snip]
It may also bring the prices down....

It would not do so because TfL are now tied into a process of
requiring DfT consent to changing fares on NR routes that are devolved
to TfL. They are not permitted to undercut parallel TOC services. This
is all set out in a recent TfL Fares Advice paper to the Mayor. There
are also similar provisions in the Crossrail Agreement but the DfT
have carefully ensured those clauses are redacted in the publicly
available version of the agreement. I only know they apply to
Crossrail because what TfL said in the Fares Advice Paper. Anyone
expecting a cheap fares bonanza if TfL take over their rail services
is going to be disappointed.

Very interesting stuff, thanks - I noticed the reference to that
regarding Crossrail in some document (poss. just a press release)
recently, I didn't realise this was a wider policy. The remaining AGA
(TOC) services via the Lea Valley seem to avoid any problem along those
lines by switching to the TfL tariff - is this just going to apply to
any new transfers to TfL control, or will it apply to LO on the Brighton
main line down to Croydon? (I will take a look at the full paper I
promise rather than just badgering you for summaries!)