Old May 31st 15, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Overground article

On 31/05/2015 11:07, Recliner wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:41:19 on
Sun, 31 May 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:
Stansted is really
outside TfL's influence and, to be honest, I don't think TfL should be
faffing around trying to run longer distance trains. There's more than
enough for them to fix within Greater London.

Why is there talk about extending Oyster to Luton and Gatwick airports
then? It makes no sense to do those two and not Stansted.

It is, after all, "London's third airport", which Luton isn't.

Surely it's worth having it on Oyster, whoever runs the trains? I think a
lot more Londoners would use it if no separate tickets were required. It
would also be easier to sell pre-paid Visitor Oyster cards if they already
came loaded with enough credit to pay for the journey to London plus some
more travelling in London.

FWIW, Stansted has the highest percentage share for public transport in
terms of surface access (i.e. getting to or from the airport not in a
plane!).

Stansted Express walk-up tickets are kinda pricey - their 7-day and 30
day Advance tickets at £12 or £8 (bit less to/from Tottenham Hale) are
worth buying instead - unlike normal Advance tickets, they're valid on
any train on the specified day.
https://www.stanstedexpress.com/offers/advance-fares

This ticketing development came after Abellio took over the Anglia
franchise - it's not a development I would have expected under the
previous franchisee National Express Group, who preferred to keep
Stansted Express as a premium priced service whilst directing those
wishing for a less costly option onto their frequent coach services to
London (or Stratford). The new-ish tickets offer a way for Abellio to
compete against NatEx and Terravision.