Old April 29th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Kingsway Tram Subway open to the general public

Well today I ventured down the tunnels and I'm glad I did , was a very
interesting experience. The so called "art" exhibition (its the usual
modern-art pretentious pseudo-intellectual crap conjured up by art students
who can't even spell "talent" , never mind muster any) hardly takes up any
space so most of the tunnels are as-is.
The initial section from the ramp looks pretty untouched , the tracks are
still in place and nothing extra has been added. Just beyond you have the old
station and here for some reason a thin layer of concrete (or something like
it) has been poured over the tracks. However the rest of it remains
unaffected , even the old exits are still there and the stairs just end as
gratings in the street above. South beyond the station the tracks reappear
and continue right along to the current "end" of the tunnel (which you weren't
supposed to go down but I did anyway). I put end in quotes since the untouched
part of the tunnel ends in some brick structures blocking most of it and
some concrete beams appearing in the roof. You could walk further down but
there was no lighting and I couldn't see how much further it went, presumably
not much as the "new" ramp to the bit of the tunnel converted to a road would
start soon.
One thing worried me about this visit. The iron beams holding up the roof
are also holding up part of the road above and I'm not sure I'd really want
to be in a 40 ton truck driving across some pretty rusty looking beams.

Well worth a visit all in all. I hope they open them up again in future
though preferable without the junk masquarading as art inside.

B2003