Old June 1st 15, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Overground article

Mizter T wrote:
On 01/06/2015 19:50, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 18:11:13 on Mon, 1 Jun 2015,
Peter Smyth remarked:
Er, I don't think so! Crossrail will be an intensive metro service
through the core, operating with ATO signalling and specifically
designed and high performance trains. There's not going to be
anywhere to reverse trains like you suggest.

So if there's a "one under" at Maryland, the whole core freezes up
for a couple of hours?

I would expect there to be crossovers allowing trains to turn in
emergencies or due to engineering work. That doesn't mean it would be
practical to have trains reversing at Stratford all day every day,
without building an extra platform.

You might manage it by "stepping back", but the discussion has revealed
the reversal is more likely to be at Abbey Wood.

?

Abbey Wood is the end of the line. (Well, the Crossrail branch.)

Roland had been advocating some (mainly Heathrow) Crossrail trains
reversing at Stratford till I pointed out that Canary Wharf (and ExCel) was
on the Abbey Wood branch. In any case, all the Heathrow Crossrail trains
are planned to go to Abbey Wood, so it's a null issue.