Old July 20th 03, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Pre-38 Pre-38 is offline

Default ASLEF General Secretary deposed!

wrote in message

Now if only the RMT members would see sense!
Roger ]

I detect yet more TDriver bashing going on . I recall similar threads
before
DaveR

I am a driver - I meant that if only the RMT members saw sense and booted
Bob Crow out for someone more reasonable. Then, who knows, perhaps the two
unions will start working with each other rather than fighting each other.
It can only be in the members interests.

Roger

Oh really I am surprised but then I must admit there are a hell uv a lot of
drivers who are not even Union members. I mean I dunno if you are or not but
I'm in ASLEF considered to be the weaker in terms of militancy but was once
stronger in the days of Ray Buckton (although he fell into line at the TUC
once) than the RMT or NUR as it once was before they merged.

Most of the non union members who drive trains are a pretty disparaging lot.
They come in on strike days (usually or if not go sick about a week earlier)
and merrily accept what we end up fighting for. I dunno their logic. OK so
not much is good about Unions, well I know that, but it doesn't mean you
disown them then go and accept all the conditions that have been struggled
for by your co workers. The Unions do a lot of good overall, despite the
fact they (the committees and activists) seem to be in it for their own
advancement.

I'm not too keen on having a lightweight leader in place of Mick Rix
however and although I'm not in it (the RMT) I think Bob Crow is a colossus
and certainly a guy who will speak up the working cause. I think there
should be more like him actually. There's nothing wrong with that its just
that some miserable cronies can't hack (take) him.

Of course the two Unions should work more closely together, everyone seems
to agree with that, something that was once on the cards but alas seems not
to have materialised.
DaveR