Old June 13th 15, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default Best route from Croydon (London) to Heathrow?

phil88 wrote:
Hello,

My sister and her 16-year-old daughter, both from Newcastle, are
stopping over briefly at mine in Croydon before departing for
Heathrow - their plane leaves at 12:30pm on Tuesday 16th June 2015
from Terminal 5, and they need to arrive 2 hours beforehand. Not
being Londoners, they don't have any relevant travel passes.

Which route would you recommend for speed and/or cheapest tickets?

1] Tube: Piccadilly Circus to Heathrow. Also, why does everything on
the internet say depart from Piccadilly Circus for Heathrow? They'd be
arriving at Victoria Station from East Croydon, so getting the Tube
from there to South Kensington would get them on the route, surely?

2] The X26 express bus from Whitgift Centre. How reliable is this?
Does it get packed? Does anybody know the typical prices for one way:
Croydon to Heathrow?

3] Tube from Victoria then train from Paddington. This sounds to me
the most circuitous route, but I could be wrong. Possibly the most
expensive too?

With luggage? If so I'd avoid the interchange at South Kensington. I
generally change between District and Piccadilly at Baron's Court where
it's across the platform. But others may well know a better plan.

PS
There is a useful guide to where to avoiding steps at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downlo...tube-guide.pdf
for wimps like me who no longer fancy lugging c.50kg up and down stairs

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid