Old June 17th 15, 09:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson[_2_] Charles Ellson[_2_] is offline

Default BBC Radio 4 Law In Action "a cautionary tale about a man who boarded a train without a ticket."

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 08:38:38 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 00:33:20 on
Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Charles Ellson remarked:
But surely in order to prosecute him, despite his losing his wallet
he must have produced some form of valid ID ?

Or that he simply told te truth about where he lived.

I've had an envelope (returned "not known at this address") from the
GNER grippers' office addressed to a local scrote (uncommon name,
previous case in local papers) who had given my address but with a dud
postcode so the address at least is a matter of trusting someone to be
telling the truth.

You've missed the point. Prosecuting someone who gives a false address
is more difficult, but in this case they were able to easily because he
gave a correct address.

That wasn't missed. I was mentioning a further example supporting that
persons are routinely trusted to supply their true address unsupported
by further proof.