Old June 18th 15, 06:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default BBC Radio 4 Law In Action "a cautionary tale about a man who boarded a train without a ticket."

In message , at 22:45:48 on
Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Charles Ellson remarked:
But surely in order to prosecute him, despite his losing his wallet
he must have produced some form of valid ID ?

Or that he simply told te truth about where he lived.

I've had an envelope (returned "not known at this address") from the
GNER grippers' office addressed to a local scrote (uncommon name,
previous case in local papers) who had given my address but with a dud
postcode so the address at least is a matter of trusting someone to be
telling the truth.

You've missed the point. Prosecuting someone who gives a false address
is more difficult, but in this case they were able to easily because he
gave a correct address.

That wasn't missed. I was mentioning a further example supporting that
persons are routinely trusted to supply their true address unsupported
by further proof.

If they don't have any proof on them, what else can be done in such
circumstances. Having them arrested and given a ride home in a police
car to find some ID is a big ask.