Old June 21st 15, 01:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\06\20 22:03, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:31:34 on Sat, 20 Jun 2015,
" remarked:
I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the
test trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

I've seen the tube trains under test at Old Dalby (last time I drove up
to the East Midlands a month ago). Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere
convenient for me to stop to take a photo.

The other odd thing about the line is the OHL a long way from any
electrified service lines. https://goo.gl/maps/Q70Uo

I think it's the only section of track, anywhere, with both fourth rail and
overhead electrification. I think that it's currently being used for both S
stock and IEP testing. Old Dalby is also where the currently surplus S7
stick waiting to enter service is being stored.

One unusual location for ex-LU stock the BBC missed is Long Marston:
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...e-this-anymore

IIRC Drayton Park has both fourth rail and overhead,
although obviously not for much distance.

The fourth rail isn't operational. It was disconnected when the overhead
was installed. It does have a short length of third rail and overhead, but
that's not uncommon.