Old April 30th 04, 06:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default How to spot ****s on the underground....

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:25:51 +0000, Richard J. wrote:

I disagree with that. An unexpected forward movement is more likely to
cause the driver to press harder on the pedal in order to stop it.
Anyway, if the vehicle in front remains stationary, the shunt will have
more severe consequences for the vehicle behind and its occupants, so
why is it safer?

I suppose it's a toss-up between greater damage/injury on 2 vehicles only
versus lesser damage/injury on a larger number of vehicles. That assumes,
as I said, that no vehicle is shunted through the lights/onto the
roundabout into the path of oncoming traffic[1], which could prove a *lot*
nastier. It also assumes that sufficient space is left between
stationary vehicles such that it will only involve 2 of them; a lot of
drivers don't realise the value of doing that and simply pull up to within
6" of the bumper in front.

[1] I've had that (almost) happen to me once - was hit from behind by
someone doing about 50mph who didn't see fit to brake for a roundabout
just as I was releasing the handbrake to set off. Nothing *was* coming
(otherwise I'd not have been setting off) but it was quite scary. Not fun.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read