Old July 10th 15, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_5_] Robin[_5_] is offline

Default Paris Metro chiefs back introduction of driverless Tube trains to London

Recliner wrote:
The trouble is that it's hard to stockpile driver hours like you can
coal. I think the government's plan is to let the unions annoy the
population so much that there will be overwhelming support for
legislation to ban strikes in essential services.

Which sadly would still leave the problem of "blue flu"?

ISTM the least bad option is to de-skill the job with automation so
that, even if there is a need for a person on board*, it is a job which
can be done by many more people after much less training.

*I have never understood the obsession many seem to have with staff on
trains. If the train can be moved by remote controllers, and help
summoned by calls to them, ISTM the main thing lost is the driver's
ability to deal with heart attacks, fights etc which start while a train
is unable
to move due to power loss etc. Just how often has that been a
significant benefit in the past - leaving aside circumstances which
wouldn't arise with modern communication systems and platform edge
screen doors? Indeed, do our wonderful, highly trained, tube drivers
carry defibrillators and know how to use them or are they waiting for a
one-off payment and extra salary?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid