Old July 11th 15, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Beale Peter Beale is offline

Default Removing "the plough" from a London tram

On 03/07/2015 16:23, Harrison Hill wrote:
At places such as Lewisham, the Central London "plough" system of
underground electrical pick-up gave way to the familiar "overhead"
system. At that point "the plough" was disconnected, and went off
into a siding; the overhead pick-up was hooked to the overhead
cable, and the tram continued its journey.
I only know this because my father-in-law told me - he used to
watch it in Lewisham High Street - but there must be film of such
an interesting changeover; I'd love to watch it for myself. Does
anyone have a link. When I Google "tram" and "plough" this film
comes up. Doesn't look too safe to me LOL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjRUT98lvE

Are you sure it was Lewisham High Street? I lived in Lewisham (Loampit
Hill) all through the war, and I am sure that the Grove Park bound trams
(52 & 54, also 58 to Victoria via Dulwich) did not change over until
further south, certainly beyond the Town Hall where the 66 & 74 from
Southend Lane joined them. The Beresford Square bound trams (46 & 72)
changed at Lee Green on Lee High Road. Further out at the Middle Park
Avenue roundabout where the 46 (via Eltham Hill) and 72 (via Westhorne
Avenue) divided I witnessed an interesting situation where the driver
did not change the points at the right time and the tram went in one
direction while its trolley pole went in the other (not for long!).

I've got a couple of old videos, Online Video/The Huntley Archive London
Trams Parts 1 & 2, must have a look at them and see if they help.

Peter Beale