Old July 12th 15, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark[_2_] Mark[_2_] is offline

Default How well off are London's tube drivers and why are they striking?

On Saturday, 11 July 2015 20:31:36 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

If the day ever comes when the job genuinely is deskilled to
"pressing
a button" as so many dull people seem to believe it consists of
then a
genuine argument about paying peanuts to employ monkeys might be
warranted.

all I'm going to say is that I still can't master driving a train or tube,
after much more emulator practise than I needed to learn to fly a plane.

And that really can be reduced to "press a button"

I see it takes about six months of training; not trivial, but a lot less
than a professional pilot.

From
https://www.how2become.com/careers/l...-train-driver/

[snip Internet hearsay]

I don't really understand your point, or the relevance of pilots, or why you copy+pasted all of that
from some random site (a link would have been enough!)

You're ranting on about drivers even after it's been pointed out that it's been an age since ASLEF
have gone on strike. That's why this strike resulted in a shutdown rather than the minuscule service
that's happened a few times over the last few years. You can run some service when you have reduced
staff of different types, but when they all have a grievance they agree on...

I don't work on the Underground, but if you're so jealous of people who do (that's surely what it comes
down to?) there's surely an easy way to get on the button-pushing gravy train yourself? Apply!

It's really odd how if you work in a bank in the City you're creating wealth for the nation, but not if
you're someone transporting thousands of them to their office.