Old July 13th 15, 04:57 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] View Post
Why should I be jealous? Have I ever suggested I was? I just don't think
that relatively well-paid people should subject millions of people to such
disruption every time they have any sort of grievance.

I spent a *lot* more than six months in higher education, never joined a
union in my career, almost all of which was in organisations with no
unions, and never even contemplated going on strike in my entire working
life. Being well qualified, I was also well paid. Neither the work, nor the
pay, of driving a tube train or a plane was ever attractive to me.
[i]
.
Perhaps in your case it isn't envy; it's merely snobbery.

You seem very pleased with the way your career has developed, and the
above passage is not the first instance of your regaling us with details of your
success. Yet you seem eager to suggest that well-paid tube drivers are
somehow unworthy of their hire.

I too have never aspired to work on London Underground but I'm glad that
those who do are well paid. Having lived through the pre-Thatcher period
when securing decent pay was normal and having seen what happens when
the vast majority of jobs are badly paid, I am delighted when normal people
with not more than normal levels of education, self-confidence and energy
receive handsome renumeration.