Old April 30th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Peake Steve Peake is offline

Default fare evasion penalties

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:32:17 +0000 (UTC), evan wrote:

A couple of people have frightened her about this & said she can get a fine
of up to £1000 & a criminal record - it's the criminal record bit she is
worried about. Is this likely? (as far as I can tell it's possible, but
that's not the same thing). Also, anyone any idea what the fine on a first
offence might be?

A magistrate in a previous post puts it at £150 ish.

She admits she's in the wrong & plans to plead guilty, & was also wondering
if going to court herself to explain will have any affect on the penalty.

On the fine maybe, but by pleading guilty you get the criminal conviction.

I can understand that they are trying to cut down fare dodging, but it seems
a bit over the top to me, given that she did have a ticket. However.

You need a solicitor, they may tell you that pleading not-guilty is the
best bet (after all doing this will only increase the fine slightly if it
fails), it really depends on the text of the law if having a ticket but
forgetting to use it is a valid defence, it may well be.

Steve