Old May 1st 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default ELL in peril yet again

In message ogers.com,
David Fairthorne writes

Crystal Palace

How many "confirmed optional" passengers are we talking about here, and over
what period?

No idea - I was merely pointing out that the ELLE may well have a
peripheral role in Olympics transport, since it provides a route to the
National Sports Centre (and out to venues SW of London) that avoids
central London. I have never thought the ELLE has any claim to being a
key element in Olympics travel.

There's no shortage of railways in that general area. How close is new the
hub to Stratford station?

The Olympic village would best be served by the hypothecated Temple
Mills station (*) - unfortunately, passenger services on the Stratford -
Tottenham Hale line are not too good at present - and the DLR has
still not made up its mind whether it wants to go as far as Temple
Mills.

Failing that, Stratford International will be closest to the village,
and Leyton (Central line) is probably closest to the more northerly
venues such as the Velodrome and Baseball stadium.

For the main stadium, the closest stations are Hackney Wick (hence a
possible ELLE link) and Pudding Mill Lane (DLR). Stratford itself is not
particularly near to any of the venues except the aqauatic centre.

Of course, none of the distances from stations are vast, but I haven't
seen anything that really resembles a coherent transport plan for the
main Olympics complex - just the general claim that Stratford will be an
international transport hub, and the hope that a station at Temple Mills
would be rather useful.

(*) If the NLL is diverted up the Lea Valley route to Tottenham Hale, it
could actually serve two of the main Olympics sites (the village at
Temple Mills and the main stadium near Hackney Wick) - a sobering
thought!
--
Paul Terry