Old July 28th 15, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default ELL down for 2 days

On 28/07/2015 09:15, y wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:28:25 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 27/07/2015 15:58,
y wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:43:20 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 27/07/2015 13:29,
y wrote:
Given they seem to need 4 days for whatever this job is, I reckon that
a Monday and Tuesday in late July (during typical summer holidays) is
pretty optimal.

Unless they're craning in a bridge or something I can't see why it couldn't
be split over 2 weekends. They managed to rebuild and entire station at
canada water without stopping the trains.

Easter could have worked, or sometime around Christmas, but I guess
they probably didn't fit in with the overall timetable of works.

Hey - it's not like it's shut for years as the old ELL was twice in the
past couple of decades...

The old ELL was a fairly useless curiousity for anyone north of the river.
Now it goes to highbury its a major commuter artery.

Didn't you recently say that it wasn't because it took too long to get
anywhere useful and the victoria line was generally preferable?

Yes. I gave up on it due to its lethargic service despite the fact that the
air conditioned trains and nice view make it far more pleasent than the tube.
However its absolutely packed in the morning rush hour going south from
highbury.

Well if you're a bus afficianado then I'm sure the view from the upper
deck on the rail replacement bus will be even more pleasing than the
Overground (less tunnels).

But - there's more - as it's a weekday rail replacement service they
have had to shake out an incredibly motley crew of double deckers from
the depths of Essex so if you're a fan of such things there must be some
interesting examples of the breed to ride on and take the numbers of.