Old July 28th 15, 10:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] spuddy@your.buddy is offline

Default Scotland - England: West side or east side? And who's advsing the Scots?

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 09:08:49 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
I suspect that the costs of using a non-standard gauge come from all the
non-standard parts and manufacturing, and 9.5 inches doesn't really
seem worth the aggravation (Japanese services around Tokyo run perfectly
happily on 3'6", after all).

Yes, indeed. In any case, no metro system needs wider than standard gauge
tracks. Narrow gauge, as in Japan, might be better, in fact, if the tracks
have tight curves. Many Continental tram systems are metre gauge for that
reason. In fact, I wonder why the DLR wasn't?

A good question. Did it re-use any track on the former BR route it took over
going up to Stratford? Or maybe it was cheaper to buy standard gauge kit.

xposted to utl.

--
Spud